Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Custom Color Baker's Twine Tutorial and Sunny Fun Flip Flop Card

Hi everyone, sorry for my long absence. Today I am uploading this fun card!



I started making this card using a 3x6” card base of Melon Mambo cardstock (a 6x6” piece folded in half). I drew up templates for the base, strap and liner. I cut out the template and traced the flip-flop on the front of the card using a standard pencil, then I cut out the flip flop shape with paper snips, making sure that you left part of the area along the top uncut so that the front and back of the card weren’t cut apart. I tried to cut inside the lines so that the pencil mark didn’t show, but if you have any remaining marks, you can clean them up nicely with a kneaded art eraser.  I ran the entire card through the Big Shot in the Polka Dot embossing folder.  I cut the strap out of Tempting Turquoise cardstock and stamped the Solid Stripes on using Tempting Turquoise ink for a tone-on-tone look. I stamped the sentiment with Basic Black on a white tag. (I cut this tag out by hand because my Small Tag Punch has gone AWOL, but you can use the small tag punch here.) I stamped the flip flop image from Sunny Fun using Black Stazon on a scrap of white cardstock.  Then I colored the image using a blender pen with Daffodil Delight and Tempting Turquoise classic ink. I cut out the colored flip-flops (I cut outside the line, you don’t have to cut very close) and glued them onto the tag. Then I punched a hole in the top of the tag using my Crop-o-dile. I looped my Tempting Turquoise dyed Baker’s Twine through the hole and glued it to the center of the strap with Tombow Liquid Glue.  I used the new Triple Layer Blossom Bouquet punch to cut out the middle flower out of Tempting Turquoise cardstock and the more detailed flower out of Daffodil Delight cardstock.  I glued the two flowers together and then glued them onto the center of the strap to cover up where the baker’s twine was attached.  Then I cut out the liner from Whisper White cardstock, stamped a sentiment and attached it on the inside.


Tutorial for making custom colored Baker’s Twine - If you would like to see another example where I used Soft Suede dyed Baker’s Twine, please see my earlier post. http://mnfroggie.blogspot.com/2011/05/card-that-started-blog.html
I wear gloves while doing this. The ink is no-toxic and will not hurt you, but it will stain your hands.
I did this using Stampin’ Up! white Baker’s twine.

Cut the desired length of baker’s twine. 
Put about 2 teaspoons of water in a small container. I am using a clamshell case for a small stamp, but any small container will do.

Add about 5 drops of Classic Ink reinker. Here I am using Tempting Turquoise.

Swirl to mix.

When it is completely mixed, coil up the twine loosely and press it into the reinker.
Move it around and squeeze it as necessary until it has absorbed the color.
 Remove the twine from the container and gently squeeze it to get out the excess liquid.
You need to let the string dry completely before you put it on your card. You can dry it faster using a heat gun, or you can just hang it up and let it dry overnight.


Your finished product will match your cardstock beautifully.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! I didn't comment on each post individually but read all your posts and fell in love with your new blog! I love your style and the awesome tutorials. Going right now to sign up as a follower!

    ReplyDelete